A four-year, $16.25 million contract extension for coach Mike MacIntyre was finalized by CU’s Board of Regents Thursday, nearly six months after being signed in January. This comes after an original decision by the Board in February to hold off on approval following domestic violence allegations from an ex-girlfriend of former assistant Joe Tumpkin.
An internal investigation by Philadelphia law firm Cozen O’Connor examined the actions of CU’s athletic department in Tumpkin’s subsequent departure, generating an 82-page report last week that supported MacIntyre’s prompt actions in handling the allegations. University of Colorado president Bruce Benson said it best about the investigation of Joe Tumpkin’s domestic violence allegations, “We didn’t handle this matter as well as we should have.”
MacIntyre turned a program that was dead last in the Pac-12 conference into division champions last season. The extension provides a raise in pay from $2 million to $4 million per year.
“I appreciate the confidence in me the Board of Regents demonstrated by approving this extension,” MacIntyre said. “I look forward to continuing to contribute to the success of our student-athletes in the classroom and community and on the football field.”
Keeping MacIntyre under contract shows a serious commitment to future athletics and the continued effort toward the “Drive For $105 Million”, CU’s sustainable excellence initiative project for state-of-the-art facilities on campus.
MacIntyre contract runs through the 2021 season and would make his tenure the fifth-longest in Colorado history.