The University of Colorado regents have put coach Mike MacIntyre’s extension on hold awaiting the conclusion of an external review on how CU handled former assistant coach Joe Tumpkin’s domestic violence case.
Last month, Athletic Director Rick George announced MacIntyre’s $16.25 million contract would run through 2021, pending the approval by CU’s Board of Regents. The decision to table the extension and raise stemmed from a Sports Illustrated article noting Tumpkin’s accuser contacted MacIntyre and others before accusations surfaced last month.
The extension was signed by MacIntyre in January after being named National Coach of the Year. He lead the Buffs to a 10-4 record, Pac-12 South title and the first bowl game in nine seasons.
CU’s Vice President of Communications, Ken McConnellogue, spoke on behalf of the Regents saying, “It’s important to know the suggestion to hold off on the Regents vote came from Chancellor DiStefano. He was the one who asked that it be postponed and what the (University) has said is that they’ve launched an inquiry into this and they want to let that play out.”
MacIntyre released a statement last week regarding the situation, expressing his concern for the safety of Tumpkin’s ex-girlfriend and following protocol as directed by the university.
Tumpkin faces five counts of second-degree felony assault, according to public records and is currently free on bond. According to a court affidavit, Tumpkin’s accuser told Broomfield police he assaulted her over 100 times in the past two years.
MacIntyre’s current contract without an extension pays $2 million per year and will expire on Dec. 31, 2018.