So I mentioned in the prediction thread that I thought it would be interested to see what changed after week one. So, um, here's mine. (caveat- it really isn't that interesting)
1) The Buffs play five games on the road this year – @ Cal, @ Missouri, @ Oklahoma, @ Kansas and @ Nebraska. Any chance the Buffs break the road losing streak this year?
OLD: Yes. 3 of those are very winnable, and who knows what will happen by the end of the year with the last NU game for the near future.
NEW: yep, still believe it. Kansas looks spectacularly winnable. Oklahoma was lousy (not calling that a win- just sayin'), Missouri was mediocre. Cal looked better than I expected.
NEWEST: No. For whatever reason, this team simply cannot win on the road. They didn't even get on the plane. Enjoy your In-N-Out, kids, because you just got humiliated. And so did everyone in one end of the stadium.
2) Who will be the Buffs leading receiver in 2010? WR Toney Clemons, WR Scotty McKnight, WR Travon Patterson or WR Paul Richardson?
OLD: catches- McKnight. receiving yards- Clemons. Total yards- maybe Patterson
NEW: same/ same? I don't know. The vertical passing game was nonexistent. / Solid Patterson.
NEWEST: McKnight, with Patterson leading in total yards. We have no vertical passing game, because we cannot block anyone, ever. Patterson will get his share of fly sweeps and punt returns, an still be extremely valuable.
see the rest after the jump...
3) Will Cody Hawkins get 40 snaps this year?
OLD: yes, hopefully in mop up duty when we’re up big in the 4th.
NEW: Yes, probably covering for injury.
NEWEST: I don't care. Hansen proved that the QB competition was not about nepotism, it was about having 2 shitty quarterbacks, and trying to find the least shitty option. We haven't found that yet.
4) In one or two words, what best describes this team right now?
5) Who will be the offensive MVP?
NEW: Patterson. I see big things for him. His punt returns alone will really help flip the field. Either he will break off some returns, or punters will kick away from him and thus, shorter.
NEWEST: Patterson. I still believe that his punt return ability will be a difference maker. Now, it just says more about how crappy the offensive line is.
6) Who will be the defensive MVP?
NEW: Major. Frankly, I saw from Perkins exactly what I expected. He was huge. But Major was huger. He was just massively impressive.
NEWEST: Still Major. I didn't analyze the game like I would like, because I was there, and I forgot to record it on TV, but Major still looked like he played sideline to sideline and did his best in coverage.
7) Who will be the true freshman to make the biggest mark in 2010?
NEW: Torres. No slight on P-Rich, but Torres looked good, and Lockridge didn't. At all. I expect Torres will be a lot more than just a short yardage back by the time conference play rolls around.
NEWEST: P-Rich. It might not show up in the stats, but Richardson is the best blocker we have right now. I didn't say best blocking receiver. He reminds me of Rod Smith, both in body type and in tenaciousness in the blocking game. He's a complete badass.
8) Biggest worry for 2010? Thing you are least worried about in 2010?
OLD: a) that we will lose a bunch of football games b) The linebackers. Cabral will always have a solid unit
NEW: a) that we'll end up right on the cusp between good and bad, and the decision on Hawkins tears us apart. b) linebackers. They were awesome.
NEWEST: No biggest worry. We just saw the worst.
9) Higher/Lower: Tyler Hansen. Seventh in the Big 12 in yards passing?
OLD: higher. Lots of teams looking to reestablish the run, and our RBs are pretty thin
NEW: Ummm... Big running days, but Hansen didn't let it rip against probably our least talented opponent. Still, I'm going to say higher, because I really want to see these receivers do big things. Not necessarily because I believe in Hansen.
NEWEST: Lower. Hansen can't pass if no one blocks.
10) The one game you are looking forward to the most in 2010?
OLD: THE NEXT ONE!
NEW: SAME! (mostly because I'm leaving tomorrow for the Bay area)
NEWEST: Same, because it can only go up.
11) November 26th rolls around. What are we talking about more: who will be the next coach of the Colorado Buffaloes or reminiscing about past Nebraska games as this may be the last between the two for a long time?
NEWEST: Next coach. If Hawkins cannot win on the road, he will not continue to be the coach (see other note)
12) Big 12 North winner? Big 12 South winner? Big 12 overall winner? National Champion?
OLD: Nebraska / Texas A&M / Nebraska / Boise State.
NEW: Nebraska/ um, eesh. Sure, A&M. Why the hell not/ Nebraska/ Boise StateNEWEST: Sure. Whatever
No game predictions. I don't know, and I don't care. I'll keep watching, because I love my team (see other note), but projecting the future now seems frustrating and futile.